1. Spectacle – all his musicals are lush and romantic and BIG.
2. I adore Sarah Brightman and she’s amazing in ‘The Phantom of the Opera’ (it has no logic – she just is).
3. Tunes! Who can’t hum at least three of them?
1. The lyrics – with a few exceptions they’re insultingly dim.
2. The plots – it’s not that the basic stories are bad, they’re just structured to seem that way.
3. The full scores – too often they’re Bad Opera; could be great Musicals reduced to rock versions of Ivor Novello Light Operettas (all of which are dreadful and forgotten).
There’s not much else for me to say – but if you have other opinions or insights I’d love to hear them.